Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium Job description
We are looking for a highly motivated Front-end Engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will be responsible for the end-to-end development of core parts of our front-end. We expect you to help us take our products and our team to the next technical level and to teach us something we don’t know.Our tech stack:
For each of our products, the front-end is composed of three main subproducts:
- A Google Workspace add-on which is small real-estate web-app integrated with Google Sheets. This is where the bulk of the functionality is exposed to users.
- A webapp dashboard, which handles checkout flows, administration and analytics.
- A marketing website
Our product infrastructure is hosted on Google Cloud Platform:
- We run logic on App Engine, Cloud Functions, Cloud Pub Sub, Cloud Storage
- We store data in Firebase, PostgreSQL, Redis, BigQuery
Our products are made in TypeScript (React), Google Apps Script, NodeJS and Java.Our marketing websites are coded in NextJS and hosted on Vercel.Some examples projects that you could work on:
- Creating a design system
- Developing new features
- Revamping a core part of the UI
- Improving front-end performance
- Making our UI accessible
- Implementing a localized UI
- Creating product playgrounds for our marketing websites
How the dev teams work:
- Taking full responsibility for big projects and core parts of the product from a software engineering perspective
- Writing technical specifications for and developing new large features
- Contributing to product specification by evaluating the technical difficulty of a project
- Proactively proposing architecture, performance and infrastructure improvements
- Owning the release process, improving the software engineering life cycle (build, CI/CD)
- Helping set and maintain a high professional standard
- Helping junior developers to grow
- Each product team is currently composed of 2-4 developers, 1 QA and 1 QA Automation, and 1 designer.
- We do not use any agile frameworks as we have found them not to be agile at all. We instead carve out projects that should last between two to six weeks, and meet daily for 15 minutes to discuss our progress and reevaluate priorities if need be. We hold a longer (~1h) meeting per week to plan the week ahead.
- Developers use Jira to create and track tickets. We use Github and pull requests for version control. We use Github Actions for continuous deployment with automated tests.
- Communication with the wider team is done through email, Google Docs, a little bit of Slack and Google Meet.
- You care more about making reliable software used by many than a shiny unstable thing used by no one.
- You understand that engineering work is done first and foremost for the customers.
- You care a lot about performance, understand that speed is a core feature
- Fully capable of building, owning and running entire systems (new billing system, new api)
- Deep, substantial expertise in multiple programming environments
- You can provide material feedback on the work of junior programmers
- You’re a fan of spreadsheets and their programming paradigm
- You’re a team player
Compensation and benefits
- Experience: 6+ years as a professional programmer on products, preferably cloud products with many users
- Programming languages: you have solid experience in React, Typescript and CSS. Bonus points for NextJS experience
- Software engineering tools: you’ve worked with git and Jira, you’re familiar with build tools, benchmarking, CI/CD and profiling tools
- Language: excellent in English, both written and oral
- Writing: you enjoy writing, you care about words and grammar
(can vary depending on the type of contract):
How to apply:
- 30 days of paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
We want to get a sense of how you write and think. To that end, please write an email that covers at least the following:
- Tell us why you want this job, and why you’re interested in building our products
- Tell us about something you’ve built that you’re proud of, show us some code if possible
- Tell us what you’re excited about in programming these days
- If possible, include a link to something you have written online
- Please ask the questions you have
We value great writers, so please show off those skills (stock cover letters won’t do). Send your email and resume, plus any public profile or material you feel relevant to [email protected] Interview process: We will first ask you a few targeted questions to be answered by email so as to get acquainted with you in writing. If that goes well, we’ll send you a technical test. You’ll then move on to an interview with a some of our engineers Finally, an interview with the CTO.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/talarian-senior-front-end-engineer-1